Wrinkle Relaxing Injections (Bt x) After Care
How do Wrinkle Relaxing Injections work?
The science and the results…
Botulinum toxin type A (BTA) in the correct name for this treatment and the main fact is that it is a drug primarily. There are brand names for the drug (Botox, Azzalure & Bocouture being the tried and tested high quality names).
It is a widely used temporary muscle relaxant. In cosmetics, this means that it stops the muscles which form wrinkles from contracting.
It acts at the junction between the nerves and muscle to prevent the release of a chemical messenger called acetylcholine at the nerve cell receptors. By relaxing the muscles, lines and wrinkles cannot so easily be formed, giving a smoother relaxed look.
The treatment does not work instantly; takes about 4 hours to absorb into the muscle and starts to visibly work within 2-6 days after treatment.
At 14 days it is at its maximum effect. After 14 days, you are invited back for a review so that the results can be checked and you can have any adjustment treatment ( no charge between 14-21 days post treatment).
The full effects last from 6 – 16 weeks before movement returns. The rate of movement return varies from person to person and the frequency of treatments is an individual choice if a restricted movement is to be maintained. If you get some movement back after a few weeks, this is normal and reflects the rate of your cell receptor replacement occurring in the facial muscles. .
Botulinum can also be used in other treatments including face and neck treatments and for the relief of excessive underarm sweating
You cannot have Botulinum treatments if you…
- Are pregnant, trying for a baby, taking fertility treatment or breast feeding
- Have muscular problems such as myasthenia gravis, Eaton Lambert Syndrome or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Have any infection on the skin to be treated
- Have allergies to Botulinum or ingredients
What happens at a consultation?
Before any prescription and treatment, you will have a personal and confidential free consultation.
This discussion includes what you would like for your concerned area, any expectations, explanation of how the treatment works and for how long, side effects and the whole treatment process.
Also included will be a health history and check to ensure a safe treatment. After the health check and consent is accepted and signed.
The facial treatment only takes about 5 minutes and includes a series of tiny injections. Throughout, you will be able to talk and ask questions about the treatment. It is not painful but can be sometimes uncomfortable rather than painful and the skin can be cooled before which helps with reducing this sensation
We always take before and after photos for our confidential records. If you would like us to use these for promotional purposes, we will request written consent.
After your treatment
Some activities may increase the risk of side effects:
- Do not touch the injection areas as you may introduce bacteria and cause infection
- For 4 hours after the treatment, Do not lie down or do any rigorous exercise or exert pressure on the area treated
- For 24-36 hours after treatment, Do not expose yourself to extreme movements, exercise or temperatures to avoid the solution migrating to other muscles
- If you experience any adverse effects, contact Alison and your GP as necessary
- Possible Risks & Side Effects: Botulinum Toxin Type A
You may experience some temporary side effects following your treatment.
Common side effects (1-10 people in 100)
- Bruising, redness, tingling, swelling, irritation, itching, discomfort at the injection sites, headache,
Uncommon side effects
- Tired eyes, drooping of upper eye lid, watering eyes, dry eyes, swelling of the eye lid, twitching of the muscles around the eye, disturbed or blurred vision, blurred vision – be careful if driving or operating machinery, eye movement disorder, muscle weakness in eyes, overcompensation in other muscles. Dizziness. Allergic reactions – itchy rash. Muscle weakness away from injection site
These side effects usually occur within the first week and are usually mild to moderate.
Please Note: For a very few people, on some occasions, treatment with Botulinum Type A has no or little effect. This will not necessarily lead to a refund.
You will be offered a review appointment within 2-3 weeks after treatment. This serves as a safety check up and to ensure even and good results.
The treatment can be adjusted with small additional doses if required. If, after 3 weeks post treatment, you require additional doses, there is no charge up to 10 units.
More than 10 units is chargeable. After 6 – 8 weeks post treatment, there will be a charge of the full amount discounted by 25%. After 10 weeks, this is the full treatment term and additional treatments will be chargeable at the usual rate.